The Crystalens® accommodating intraocular lens is an intraocular lens used after cataract surgery or as a lens alternative in presbyopic lens exchange. The concept of the lens was engineered with a hinge design to allow the optic, or part of the lens that you see through, to move back and forth as your focus on an image changes. The Crystalens® accommodative intraocular lens is permanently implanted with a surgical process and functions in a similar fashion as the natural eye. Once the surgery has been completed your eyes can focus on far or near objects in a comfortable way with no discomfort. If you are experiencing presbyopia or cataracts please feel free to consult us about the possibility of utilizing the new Crystalens® accommodative intraocular lens.
FDA Clinical Trial Information
- 100% could see intermediate (24" to 30") without glasses, the distance for most of life's activities
- 98.4% of patients implanted with crystalens in both eyes could pass a driver's test without glasses
- Some patients did require glasses for some tasks after implantation of the crystalens
- 98.4% could see well enough to read the newspaper and the phone book without glasses.
- Significantly more patients implanted with a crystalens (88.4%) could see better at all distances then patients implanted with a standard IOL (35.9%)